Comprehensive Plan

The current Town of Grottoes Comprehensive Plan was adopted in 2017 by the Grottoes Town Council. The plan is available for review at Town Hall, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. or a copy may be viewed and downloaded here.


FY 2020 Budget Summary
FY 2020 Budget

Proposed FY 2021 Budget

The Town of Grottoes' fiscal year runs from July 1st through June 30th.

Revenues for the Fiscal Year 2020 Budget:
General Fund:  $1,573,644.76
Water Fund: $271,600
Sewer Fund:  $474,900
Parks and Facilities Fund:  $536,800
Refuse Revenue: $164,517

TOTAL REVENUES: $3,021,461.76

Expenditures for the Fiscal Year 2020 Budget:
General Fund:
   Administrative: $377,982.60
   Public Works:  $5,490
   Street Lights:  $8,500
   Parks & Facilities:  $536,800
   Refuse:  $164,517
   Police Department:  $590,017.40
   Highway and Streets:  $591,654.76

Enterprise Funds:
   Water:  $271,600
   Sewer:  $474,900

TOTAL EXPENDITURES:  $3,021,461.76

FOIA Request Policy

 View/download FOIA Request Form

Under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”), the Town must guarantee access to public records held by the Town, its officers, and employees.  A public record is any writing or recording prepared, owned, or possessed by the Town, its officers, employees, or agents in the transaction of public business.  A public record may be in any format, including, but not limited to, a paper document, electronic file, audio recording, or video recording.  The types of records maintained by the Town generally include personnel records for the Town’s employees and officials and records of the Town’s contracts.  All public records are open and available for public inspection and may be withheld only if a specific statutory exemption applies.

A request for records can be written or verbal.  The request must identify the records being sought with reasonable specificity.  In other words, the request must be specific enough for the Town to identify and locate the records being requested.  Each requestor is encouraged to complete the Town’s Record Request Form to ensure an accurate and complete response.  If a requestor prefers to make a verbal request, Town staff will complete the form as completely as possible based on information provided verbally by the requestor.  The Town maintains a copy of each Record Request Form along with its response.

Upon receiving a FOIA request, the Town must do one of the following within five working days:
   (1) Provide the requested records in their entirety.
   (2) Withhold the requested records in their entirety based upon a statutory exemption.  The Town must provide a written response that identifies the volume and subject matter of the records being withheld along with the Virginia Code section authorizing the withholding.
    (3) Provide some of the requested records, but withhold other records which are exempt.  If only a portion of a record is exempt, the Town will redact that portion of the record and provide the remainder.  The Town must also provide a written response that identifies the Virginia Code section authorizing the redaction and/or withholding.
   (4) Inform the requestor in writing that the requested records cannot be found or do not exist.  If the Town is aware of another public body that has the requested records, the contact information for that public body must be included in the Town’s response.
   (5) When it is not practically possible to provide the requested records or determine whether they exist within five working days, the Town must say so in writing and explain why.  The Town may take up to an additional seven working days to respond to the request.

The five working day period for the Town’s response begins on the day after receipt of the request and does not include weekends or holidays.  The Town may petition the court for additional time to respond to a request for a very large number of records if a response is not possible within 12 working days.  The Town must make a reasonable effort to reach an agreement with the requestor for additional time prior to going to court.

The Town is not required to create records when a FOIA request seeks records which do not exist.  A requestor may elect to receive electronic records in any format used by the Town in the regular course of business.

A requestor may ask to review records in addition to receiving copies.  In this case, the requestor will be provided with a suitable place to review the requested records.  The Town’s copies of any records provided for review are not permitted to leave the Town’s offices.

With respect to costs, the Town follows the following policy pursuant to Virginia Code § 2.2-3704.1(A)(6):

A public body may make reasonable charges not to exceed its actual cost incurred in accessing, duplicating, supplying, or searching for the requested records. No public body shall impose any extraneous, intermediary, or surplus fees or expenses to recoup the general costs associated with creating or maintaining records or transacting the general business of the public body.  Any duplicating fee charged by a public body shall not exceed the actual cost of duplication.  All charges for the supplying of requested records shall be estimated in advance at the request of the citizen as set forth in subsection F of § 2.2-3704 of the Code of Virginia.

The Town may charge for the actual costs of responding to a FOIA request, including items like staff time spend searching for records, copying costs, and any other costs directly related to supplying the requested records.  It cannot include general overhead costs.  The requestor has the right to request an estimate of any charges for the requested records in advance.  If any charges will apply, the Town will advise the requestor at the time of the request or as soon in the response process as it becomes known.

If the Town estimates that the cost of a response will exceed $200, the requestor may be required to pay a deposit not to exceed the amount of the estimate before the Town provides a response.  If charges for a previous FOIA request have remained unpaid for more than 30 days, the Town may require payment of the overdue charges before responding to a new FOIA request from the same requestor.

The Town’s FOIA Officer determines whether a record or part of a record is exempt from disclosure.  The Town commonly withholds records subject to the following exemptions:
   (1) Personnel records (Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(1)).
   (2) Records subject to attorney-client privilege (Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(1)) or the attorney work-product doctrine (Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(4)).
   (3) Vendor proprietary information (Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(6)).
   (4) Records relating to the negotiation and award of a contract prior to the award of the contract (Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(12)).

The Town’s general policy is to invoke the personnel records exemption when necessary to protect the privacy of the Town’s employees and officials.  The Town generally invokes the contract negotiations exemption whenever necessary to protect the Town’s bargaining position or negotiating strategy.

A requestor who believes that FOIA rights have been violated may file a petition in district or circuit court to compel compliance with FOIA.  In addition, a requestor may contact the Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council for a nonbinding advisory opinion.  A requestor may contact the FOIA Council with any questions about FOIA at (866) 448-4100 or

water & sewer billing


Water bills are mailed on the 5th of every odd month and due on the 5th of every even month, as shown on the table below.  If the 5th falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill will be due the following business day.  A 10% penalty is applied to the outstanding balance on the 6th of the month the bills are due.  Payments are accepted in the form of cash, check, credit cards, or money order.  We also accept payment on our website.   When paying by check or money order, please make payable to the Town of Grottoes.  There is a $30.00 charge for returned checks.

Bills Mailed:            Bill Due By:
January 5                   February 5
March 5                     April 5
May 5                         June 5
July 5                          August 5
September 5            October 5
November 5             December 5

The day after bills are due, a final notice will be mailed to all customers with an outstanding balance.  This notice will provide a disconnection date and time.  If full payment is not received by the given date, services will be disconnected.  A reconnection fee will be due in addition to any remaining balance in order to restore your services.  Reconnection fees are $30.00 during regular business hours and $60.00 during non-business and holiday hours.

Water and Sewer Rates
All rates are per 1000 gallons with the minimum billing being 2000 gallons.  Each budget year there is a cost-of-living increase for water and sewer rates.

Gallons Used:             Water:                    Sewer:       
0-2000                          $20.63                      $47.53
Above 2000                 $2.01/1000 gal.        $3.75/1000 gal.

Turning on Water Service
To establish water service in a new name for an existing water and sewer connection, please contact the Town Office.  

An Application for Water & Sewer Account must be completed and a deposit in the amount of $75.00 must be paid prior to the Town turning on the water service.  This must be done in person and a photo ID must be presented to a Town official.  Deposit payments are accepted in the form of cash, check or money order.  Currently, we accept debit or credit cards for utility payments only.  Utility payments may also be made by calling 1-833-266-8326.  Convenience fees apply to online and phone payments. When paying by check or money order, please make payable to the Town of Grottoes.  There is a $30.00 charge for returned checks. The deposit will be held on each account until services are terminated.  Upon termination, the deposit will be applied towards the final billing and any overage will be refunded.  A forwarding address is required to receive a refund.

New Service Connections
Connection Fees:
To receive new Town water and/or sewer services, the property owner is responsible to pay the connection fees.  Paying the connection fees establishes the property owner's rights to connect onto the Town's water and/or sewer system.  The connection fees are as follows:  $3,000 for residential water connections $3,000 for residential sewer connections $3,500 for commercial water connections $3,500 for commercial sewer connections

Additional Costs:
The property owner is responsible for installing the service lines from the Town's main line to the building that will receive the water and/or sewer service.  The property owner is also responsible for installing a septic tank for sewer and a water meter box with setter for water.  Usually these tasks are preformed by an independent contractor, licensed by the state to perform such tasks.  The property owner will hire the contractor of their choosing and make the arrangements to pay their fees.

Questions? Please contact us.

zoning permits

call 811 before you dig
(more information)

To construct a new building, make a structural alteration, install signage or fencing, or conduct a significant repair to your property, you must first obtain a Zoning Permit from the Town of Grottoes Zoning Administrator and then a Building Permit from the Rockingham County Office of Community Development.

Zoning permits establish setback requirements and similar regulations. Building permits are issued by the County and all inspections are handled by Rockingham County building officials. To apply for a zoning permit, you will need to schedule an appointment with the Town Manager/Zoning Administrator and will be asked to provide the following information:    

Name and Address of Property Owner    
Name and Address of Contractor    
Dimensions of Building/Addition/Signage    
Plot Plan and Plat (if applicable)    
Construction Plans (if applicable)    
Estimated Cost of Project    
Estimated Date of Completion

The cost for a zoning permit is $2.50/$1,000 cost of the project, with a minimum fee of $30.For questions about obtaining a zoning permit or to schedule an appointment, you may contact the Town Office at (540) 249-5896.

For questions about obtaining a building permit, you may contact the Rockingham County Office of Community Development at (540) 564-3030.

The official zoning map can viewed in the office of the Town Manager, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

The Town of Grottoes has the following zoning districts:
B1  General Business District    
B2  Planned Business District    
B3  Business District    
R1  Low Density Residential District    
R2  Residential District    
R3  Residential Limited District    
R6  Manufactured Housing District    
R7  Planned Business District    
M1  Light Industrial District    
I1  General Industrial District

View/download table of regulations for each zoning district. For more specific information about a particular zoning district, please refer to Section 100 of the Town Code.

View/download Development Guide

business licenses & town decals

Business Licenses
Chapter 144 of the Grottoes Town Code establishes License Requirements to conduct business within the Town. If you have any questions contact the Town Office at (540) 249-5896.

Every person shall apply for a license for each business or profession when engaging in a business in this jurisdiction.  All license taxes become due and payable on or before July 1 of the license tax year. (For license taxes based on gross receipts, penalty for late payment will begin July 2.)

A penalty of ten percent, or ten dollars, whichever is greater, shall be added to all license taxes which are delinquent and unpaid on the due date.  Unless otherwise specifically provided, no license tax imposed under this Title shall be less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00).

Applications for existing businesses are mailed out during the month of April.  If you have not received your Application for Town Business License, you may download it here or contact the Town Hall at (540) 249-5896.

Town Decals/Vehicle License Fees
Effective November 8, 2010, the Grottoes Town Council voted to eliminate the Town decal. Decals will no longer be issued or required for display on motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers or semi-trailers.

To replace the decal a Motor Vehicle License Fee will be assessed each calendar year. This fee will be assessed on all motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers and semi-trailers licensed in the Town of Grottoes as of January 1st of each year.

The license fee will be billed with the personal property bill that is due December 5th of each year. The Vehicle License Fee is levied on each motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer and semi-trailer for which a state license plate is required and which is normally garaged, stored or parked in the Town of Grottoes. A Vehicle License Fee is assessed each calendar year based on January 1st ownership/garage jurisdiction.

For calendar year 2011 and subsequent years the license fee is due December 5th of the preceding year and will be billed by the Treasurer at the same time as personal property taxes. Along with the Personal Property taxes, the Vehicle License Fee can be paid in person by cash, check or money order at the Town Office at 601 Dogwood Avenue, Grottoes, Virginia or by mail at P. O. Box 146, Grottoes, Virginia 24441.

Please make checks payable to Town of Grottoes.


June 14, 2021

Administrative Assistant

Police Department

Full Time

The Town of Grottoes Police Department is currently accepting applications for a full-time Administrative Assistant. Responsibilities include data entry, records management, answering non-emergency phone calls, accepting walk-in concerns from citizens, scheduling appointments and other various administrative tasks.  The applicant cannot have a criminal history and must pass a background investigation.


Minimum Requirements:  High school diploma or equivalent; strong communication skills; experience related to office work, public interaction, and customer service; strong organizational skills; strong computer and proficient typing skills; ability to multi-task and use effective time management skills.


Preferred Qualifications: VCIN/NCIC Certification or the ability to obtain; familiarity with Police Incident Based Reporting (IBR) system; familiarity with the Tyler Technologies system; grant writing experience; knowledge of police department accreditation process and requirements (CALEA); basic knowledge of police department interoffice procedures.


The Town of Grottoes offers a benefit package that includes paid time off, insurance, and pay based on experience.  The Town of Grottoes is an Equal Opportunity Employer.


Interested candidates must complete a Town of Grottoes Police Department application which can be found on the Town website at  Applications should be delivered, in person, to the Town of Grottoes Police Department no later than June 21st,2021, at 5:00 p.m.

April 8, 2021

Maintenance Technician

Public Works

Full Time

General Definition of Work

Performs semiskilled work performing a variety of water and sewer line, building and grounds, and streets maintenance and repair assignments, and related work as assigned. Work is performed under the supervision of the Maintenance Crew Leader and Public Works Director.

 Qualification Requirements

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

 Essential Functions

Assist with collection of leaf collection and chipping of brush pick up;

Assist with landscape-related duties for ground maintenance such as mowing grass, edging sidewalks and curbs, operating weed trimmers, trims trees and shrubs;.

Assist with setup, tear down, and janitorial work related to the Town’s parks and special events;

Assist with maintenance and general repair of facilities  at Grand Caverns, Mountain View Park and other Town properties;

Assist with snow removal and ice control;

Assist with preventive maintenance on equipment and facility maintenance;

Operate a variety of light and heavy equipment in park, street, sanitation, water and sewer repair work;

Assist with the maintenance and repair of the Town’s water and sewer system, including the pumping and maintenance of septic tanks;

Assist with reading water meters;

Assist with the replacement and maintenance of street signs;

Required to be available to work outside normal work hours in on-call status and in emergency call-back incidents;  

Other duties as may be assigned.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in building maintenance and repair; thorough knowledge of hazards and safety precautions associated with type of work assigned; skill in the use of hand and power tools of the trade; ability to recognize and diagnose problems; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to make decisions within scope of responsibility; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.

Education and Experience

Highschool diploma or GED and minimal experience in custodial and building maintenance work, or equivalent combination of education and experience.  Experience in water and sewer maintenance and repair is a preferred.

Physical Requirements

This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires standing, walking, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions, frequently requires stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts within arms length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions, frequently requires working near moving mechanical parts and occasionally requires wet, humid conditions(non-weather), working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to the risk of electrical shock and exposure to vibration; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).

Special Requirements (successful completion with 12 months of hire)

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) license

Virginia Pesticide Applicator certification(commercial)

Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in the Commonwealth of Virginia. ($1/hour increase in hourly rate upon completion of CDL)
June 23, 2021

Police Officer

Police Department


The Town of Grottoes is accepting applications for the position of a full-time Police Officer. Preference will be given to certified officers with a minimum of three years patrol experience. Preferred applicants should have some experience in community policing practices and be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office. Familiarity with the Grottoes area is preferred. Salary commensurate with experience.

Open Until Filled.



The Town of Grottoes is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

community central

Information on local attractions, businesses, restaurants, local service providers, and more!

Access Community Central

town hall


Grottoes Town Office
601 Dogwood Ave
P.O. Box 146
Grottoes, VA 24441
Phone: 540-249-5896


Mary Baldwin University
Learn More
Eastern Mennonite University
Learn More
James Madison University
Learn More
Bridgewater College
Learn More
National College
Technical School
Learn More
Massanutten Technical Center
Technical School
Learn More
Blue Ridge Community College
Technical College
Learn More
South River Elementary School
K-12 (Elementary School)
Learn More
East Rockingham High School
K-12 Education (High School)
Learn More
Elkton Middle School
K-12 Education (Middle School)
Learn More

May 2021

Read more

March 2021

Our Town of Grottoes March 2021 Newsletter.

Read more

January 2021

Our Town of Grottoes January 2021 Newsletter.

Read more

November 2020

Our Town of Grottoes November 2020 Newsletter.

Read more

LAtest Posts

Newsletters, Special Announcements and more information...